If you’ve set yourself a goal but you never reach it, or indeed you never make any progress towards it at all, double check it is something that you REALLY want.
We know goal setting is a THING and that we should do it. But our goals need to be aligned with what we truly want and need. They should fit in with our core values, and we need to understand why working towards and achieving our specific goals is important to us. If not, then we will get stuck, go round in circles, never make any progress and eventually get disheartened and down on ourselves.
Here are a few questions to test whether your goal is PERSONAL and PURPOSEFUL:
- Is your goal really yours? Or is it someone else’s goal?
- Does your goal fit in with your values and beliefs?
- Have you got clear (REALLY CLEAR!) on what achieving your goal will look like, sound like and feel like?
- What are the benefits of reaching your goal on you and your family?
- How will you feel if you don’t reach it?
If your unloved goal isn’t a life or death thing, or isn’t something that lights you up right now, give yourself permission to scrap it. Create a NEW goal for yourself that REALLY sets you on fire. I promise, you’ll feel incredibly liberated and “unstuck”!
If it’s important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.